Friday, October 15, 2010

"Sylke, you throw a good funeral!"



And a good one it was.
Kelvin's memorial service today was as good as memorial services can get, in this strange but beautiful way.
There were so many wonderful people that came out. Kelvin would be proud!

Quinn spent the morning at Ellen's, and Raul hung out with my dad, so Robin and I would be home alone with enough time to get ready without fighting kids.
Robin practiced her "lines" a bit, because she had suddenly decided she wanted to say something in the microphone. We had decided it might be nice for her to read her letter that she wrote to Kelvin in Holland.

At around 11.30 am, all the Avalos arrived  and we headed for the church around noon, so we could set up.
I was rather nervous because I had decided to get up and speak twice. Once to read my part, that I wasn't able to read back in Holland, and once to  say a Thank you to everyone at the end. Of course. I had forgotten my lines at home, but Thankfully, Lori, the pastor, still had my part on paper. Except the thank you message wasn't there, so I decided to do that off the top of my head.

The service started at 1.00 pm, and most people were there then.
A lot of people spoke and said such wonderful things. But Robin was really awesome. She got up there, and read her letter, and she wasn't even afraid to do so!

From service kel 10-15

Needless to say, I was so proud of her. And I'm sure Kl was too.

Then eventually came my part. Which I did not think I was going to read myself.
However, I had decided last week that I wanted to try and read it out.
I was so nervous but I did it. I did actually almost start to cry a few times, but managed to go on.

However, I am falling asleep behind my pc as we speak. I will write more tomorrow!

And yes, A dear friend of mine said before she left: "Sylke, you throw a good funeral!". Hey, I guess I can add that to my list of things I'm good at right? ;)
Let's just hope I won't need to break out my talent too often. But it is what I wanted. I took on this extra stress because I wanted it to be memorable for a memorable person, and not depressing.

You can view some of the pictures here already. Sorry, I was too tired to take out the bad ones, so bare with me. :)

2 comments:

  1. Wat een mooie locatie, heel sfeervol. En Robin......zo lief.
    Marjon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat is dit toch moeilijk allemaal. Mooi dat Robin voorgelezen heeft, dapper kind!

    ReplyDelete