We arrived home Last week Thursday night. It was quite the trip. Nothing spectacular happened, but just travelling with 3 kids and a load of luggage is quite tiring. Even if my sister was with me.
I can only imagine attempting to travel by myself..I'm not going to think about that yet..
Anyway, all went pretty smoothly, but of course, it seemed the transportation letter I received from the consulate for my lost green card was a big mystery to everyone.
And yes, I was held up at customs.My kids were o.k, Abi was o.k, but I needed to wait there. I sent Raul with Abi to retrieve the luggage and took Robin and Quinn myself.
It was really quite the sad situation.
Us waiting there in that little waiting area, filled with all sorts of other mostly gentlemen wanting to enter the US.
I did overhear the officers questioning them.
"So, you're a teacher huh? How long are you staying? Why did you wire $500.000 to a US bank account?
I was one of the very few women in there.
And waiting with 2 tired kids is a load of fun. Then, Robin added to the dramatic situation, by repeatedly asking me: "Mommy, where will we have to pick up daddy's urn?". Then, of course, Quinn chimed in and asked the same.
I'm sure people were thinking that must have been something I'd told the kids to say to make our story more believable.
Alas, after an hour, we were called up. I don't know why they don't mention in the mystery letter why I lost my green card. Every time someone asks, it is a bit awkward to tell them that you lost it because it was in your husbands wallet when he was in a fatal car accident. People hear it and get shocked. And then they stumble: "I'm very sorry".
So am I :-(
But it is interesting how that goes. I've told so many people about Kel lately, that I almost feel bad telling them such news, because every time I do, they feel bad for asking. And I can understand, because I would be quite shocked myself to have someone tell me that out of the blue.
So, after a few more questions, we were all set to go. We still had to pick up the urn though, which wasn't easy.
Jen was waiting for us to bring us home, but as said, first we needed to go to the cargo are to pick up the urn. We somehow couldn't find it (we had to drive) and when we finally did, they told us to get back to the customs at the main airport, to have these forms signed. Yay!
After that was done, they finally gave me my husband back and we headed home.
Coming home was special. The kids next door had made chalk drawings and "welcome home" on the driveway, and there were drawing stuck to the door.
My lawn was mowed, the bushes were trimmed, my flowers were huge. Everyone had taken care of everything.My neighbourhood is the best! It was so heartwarming, and I hadn't even entered the house yet.
And when I did enter, there were groceries in the fridge, a bottle of wine on the counter and cards and stuff.
The house felt good, it felt like home. It was sad but happy at the same time. Our own little place, where we made so many memories.
the kids were tired though, so I got them in bed first.
Then I headed out to the basement to find my sister some bedding.
Damn, the basement. Kel's work area. Just as he left it last time he was doing things in it...All those tools, and no one to make a mess with them. No one for me to complain about getting sawdust everywhere on my stuff...
And that basement, we were always trying to get it organized.We'd spend the day in there, have regular coffee breaks, and I would search through boxes, while Kel was working on some project, or was sketching plans for the perfect basement he had in mind.
Now I was there all alone. Sometimes at night, when I had to go down and get something there, I'd try to lure him with me, just to keep me company.
Or when I was home alone, and he was at work, I'd call him, just so he could keep me company while going in that basement by myself.
Now I can't even call him. I have memories, but I'll never live those again. :-(
And that was just our plain old basement.
So bedtime was tough. Our big bed. Kel always asking me why I was laying so far away. Even though I really wasn't. And me saying it's because I was in my "hole". You know how your mattress forms to the shape of your body? Well, I liked staying in my "hole", when you move up too far, it's like you're rolling down.
So now I was in that big Empty bed by myself. With an urn on my dresser, and Kel's picture smiling brightly at me. We were supposed to be home together.
Having a coffee together before bed, (yes we did that and slept too)Watching the news.
It's all those little things that are tough. Being home is so comforting, and painful at the same time. Throughout the day you get these ups and downs. Euphoria, because I figured out how to reconnect the garage door myself. Sadness, because I suddenly realized I'd better learn how to fire up the grill myself so that we can continue to have little BBQ lunches whenever it's a beautiful day.
So I ended that day sitting in bed, reading the wonderful cards neighbours had left me, and sobbing.
Generally, being home has been good though.It's been very hectic and busy,
Lots of things to take care of, but Abi being here is very nice. She does so much, helps with the kids, cleans the house (and enjoys it too!), and helps me plan to do lists.
Then, on Sunday, Kel's brothers came to visit. Ralph, Frank and Richie.
They wanted to come and help out with "man stuff", and of course, to spend some time.
The kids were overjoyed, and so was I. They helped out so much, they fixed the Internet, took the ac out, changed the car battery and played around with the kids. We had beers together in the yard, Kel would have loved it.
We talked about Kel,and all sorts of little things. I'm lucky to have such a great in law family. Seriously!
You can see the pictures here.
Well, I've been wanting to access my videos for a while now, so I'm leaving you with a nice one of Kel and the kids.
It's getting late, I should go to bed. Hopefully, I will dream about him sometime.
And with the shortage of pictures I've been taking, i decided to illustrate with some of my fave Kel shots..
and another great video..
Sylke,
ReplyDeleteerg fijn om te lezen dat je allemaal lieve mensen om je heen hebt.
xxx Marjon
gelukkig heb je een goed netwerk van familie, vrienden en buren om je heen. Al die herinneringen....zo pijnlijk en confronterend maar tegelijkertijd zo fijn en troostend. Heel, heel veel sterkte!
ReplyDeleteBlijf je in Amerika wonen?
ReplyDeleteLijkt me heel moeilijk en eenzaam om nu in een land tewonen waar de reden waarom je daar naartoe verhuisde er nu niet meer is.
Heel veel sterkte toegewenst voor de toekomst!
Tina.
Hey Tina,
ReplyDeleteNouja, ik kan momenteel niet goed "long term" denken, maar ik neig er wel naar om hier te blijven. Eigenlijk trekt Nederland me als land totaal niet, en als ik daar woon heb ik ook niet constant familie over de vloer natuurlijk. Ik ken hier toch meer mensen als ik dacht, en vroeger wilde ik sowieso altijd al hier wonen. Terug kan altijd nog, en ja, voor de kids is dit wel gewoon hun thuis natuurlijk.
Bedankt voor de lieve wensen allemaal!
Ik voel enorm met je mee. Rouwen is helaas iets waar je helemaal alleen voor staat heb ik gemerkt, hoe mensen je ook troosten, het verwerkingsproces blijft toch je eigen persoonlijke weg. Maar het is wel ontzettend fijn dat je zoveel mensen om je heen hebt die je helpen.
ReplyDeleteIk wist niet dat je de urn apart moest inchecken, ik dacht dat je die als carry on mocht meenemen...
Fijn dat je zoveel mensen om je heen hebt die van je houden en zo goed helpen!
ReplyDeleteLieve Lieve Syl,
ReplyDeleteIk ben niet zo druk op de social networks, zodoende zag ik vanochtend pas je aankondiging van de service en ben me werkelijk helemaal rot geschrokken.
Ik heb je via mail al laten weten hoe ontzettend ik met je meeleef.
Ik heb altijd enorme bewondering gehad voor jullie familie en de sterke band die jullie heel duidelijk hadden. Dat was voor mij zeer duidelijk te zien in de foto's en verhalen over de kinderen en Kel.
Hoe groot het verdriet moet zijn is dan ook niet te bevatten. Je kan enorm trots zijn op de legacy die jullie beiden hebben nagelaten aan je kinderen, die van een enorme sterke liefhebbende familie. Ik weet zeker dat die herinnering, tastbaar en in je hart je door de moeilijke tijd heen gaat helpen.
Het moet enorm fijn zijn om Kel om je heen te hebben met al de foto's die je gemaakt hebt door de jaren heen, van elk dierbaar moment van Kel met de kinderen, je vakanties, tripjes, dagelijks leven, er is zoveel om op terug te kijken.
Ik weet zeker dat je gaat redden lieverd!!!
Ik zou net als jou hier blijven, terug gaan naar Nederland is niet echt een optie. Je kinderen zijn hier geboren, hebben hier hun herinneringen en vriendjes.
Ik voel het net als jij, er was altijd iets dat me trok aan het wonen in the US. Als er iets met Dave zou overkomen zou ik ook niet mijn koffers gaan pakken....
Lieve Syl, als er iets is dat ik kan doen voor je, ook al aan de andere kant van de States, ik ben maar een click away! :-)
Heel heel veel sterkte en kracht!
Belinda