Sunday, May 23, 2010

Raul's fieldtrip to the Hitchcock center

Raul had a couple of field trips this month. One to the Dr Seuss museum and one to the Hitchcock center.
Now, I'm ashamed to say I'm usually not too fast in signing up for school activities. I've chaperoned a few field trips in pre school, but that's about it.
I must admit that the prospect of hanging around with a class full of kids after spending 3 days with 3, is not always very attractive, so I get lazy and look for ways out.
However, I'd started to feel a bit guilty, so I signed up for the Hitchcock center, and I signed up for Robin's upcoming trip to the Lupa Zoo as well. (And yes, Kel even signed up for the Dr Seuss but they already had enough chaperons..)
So, after this brave move of signing up, I did not hear from either teacher so I figured I wasn't needed.
The day before the trip however, I got a call from Raul's teacher, so I decided to go along. (and turns out I'm needed for Robin's trip as well)



I wasn't quite sure if at Raul's age, it was still cool to have your mom come along, but as soon as I got in the classroom, the kids seemed very excited and Raul very proud. Some kids got clingy and Raul seemed to be thinking: "Yeah that's right, that MY mom!".
Off we went to the school bus. This was my first time ever to ride the big yellow bus. After all, we don't have those in Holland. And of course, with my habit of avoiding field trips in the past, I hadn't rode one either.



I've always wanted to checkout the Hitchcock center, so I was a bit excited even. Raul sat next to me on the bus. I felt immediate admiration for the bus driver. I have never heard so much noise at once!

At the Hitchcock center, we got a brief introduction as to what it was that we were going to do. Then we headed out for a beautiful walk to the pond, which took us through the woods, and through the Bramble hill farm. It was really breathtakingly beautiful!



At the pond, we were fished around in the pond for pond creatures, with our group. My group had Raul in it, and 3 other girls. We found plenty of interesting bugs, a very big leach, tadpoles, a froglet, and a baby salamander. The weather being gorgeous made for an extra nice day too.
After fishing for a while, we returned to the center to have lunch outside before returning to school.


It turned out a pretty nice field trip, i might sign up again sometime!
See more pictures  here

ps, i've been really annoyed now that I'm centering the text & pictures in the post, the title won't center with it, even if I move it around. I hate that it isn't centered, so if anyone know how I can change this, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment