Sunday, August 29, 2010

Happy birthday to Quinn!


Today Quinn turned 3!
It was a happy day, but also bittersweet. Because we were supposed to be home now, and decorate the house together at night, hoping that one of the kids wouldn't wake up and come out of their rooms.
As soon as everyone was asleep,I would sit in the livingroom and wrap gifts, as Kel watched tv and blew up balloons while having some coffee together.
Then decorate the whole house together, until it was just right. Then I'd take a picture of it all, and sometimes post in on the blog.
The next morning, we'd wake up, kids screaming with excitement. "can I see my presents?" "noo wait, daddy is still tired, we need more coffee first!"
I'd be up, and Kel would get up, half asleep, and start making a fancy birthday breakfast.
As he was making pancakes or poffertjes, we would all hang out in the kitchen, as the gifts were unwrapped.
I would take pictures, Kel would make movies. Gee, we were such a team.
We had a big and shiny tractor waiting for Quinn in the basement. We'd ordered it ontime and assembled it together last july. We could barely wait to give it to him.

Instead I decorated the livingroom and kitchen last night with my mom. It was still nice, but it wasn't Kel.
This moring was diffrent. Quinn and I were alone downstairs first, then came the rest. He was excited, but not as excited as usual.


We did have a nice birthday though. Quinn got lots of playmobil presents, they played a while, at at 1.00 we had a birthdayparty for Quinn and Raul already too (less planning to do once back in the US).



We went to an indoor playplace, since it's been raining like crazy over here, and met with all the cousins.
The kids went wild and had a great time. Afterwards we had cake at my Aunt & Uncles stables upstairs. And the kids got to run around and play chase.



Everyone was nice and tired when we got home. When I brought Quinn to bed I I asked him happily if he had fun. Then he said: "Don't be sad mommy". I said "i know, I'm still sad, but it was also a happy day, wasn't it? Quinn said " yes, but I miss daddy".

So, all in all, it was a happy day, but with lots of reminders on how it would have been.Kel would have been silly with the kids in the playground and such. And it's those little things that remind you of what's missing..

See the pictures here or in the side menu.


Quinn & Kel on his second birthday.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Quinn!! Ai....zo snel Quinn zijn verjaardag na het verlies van Kelvin. Moeilijk toch zo'n dag.....knuffel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lieve Sylke

    Wat zal het een moeilijke,ontzettend dubbele dag voor je geweest zijn! En wat mogen je kinderen trots zijn op hun moeder. Ik heb er heel, heel diep respect voor hoe je dit allemaal doet. Probeer je ook wel goed voor jezelf te zorgen??

    Dikke kus, Annemieke

    ReplyDelete