Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas eve!


Well, the holiday of all holidays is upon us.
I'm normally very much into Christmas but this year I'd just really have it over with. Enough with the birthdays and holidays already. We've had a constant stream of them, beginning with Quinn's planned birthday party the day after Kel died. And then everyone but Robin's birthday and all the holidays. Every time another reminder of what will never be anymore. Sure, we'll give it all our own new thing. Life goes on after all, but it was more fun when there were 5 of us instead of 4.

No more sneaking around together on Christmas eve, getting everything under the tree and in stockings, while drinking wine and hoping not to get caught. Every Christmas eve we were so happy when we made it into bed with the lights off safely, without the kids noticing a thing. A think 2 Christmases ago I made a video of that, I will post that under this post later.

Oh, and thank you everyone, for so warmly inviting me to join you on Christmas. I don't know yet if we will stay put or not, but it surely is appreciated.
I'd like to also thank everyone for the lovely cards and gifts, all the help, dinners and support. Not just around Christmas but over the past few months. I'd love to Thank everyone personally, but truthfully, I can barely find the time to keep my house in order at the moment. Please know that that doesn't mean I don't appreciate it all though. The outpoor of Love and support we have gotten has been so heartwarming. I just want you all to know how very truly grateful I am for that. Love you all! :)
Also, I decided to skip the Christmas cards this year, but I love every single one we have gotten. Back next year! I promise!

So, in the light of Christmas being different, I thought it might be nice to add a new tradition. We normally don't really go to church, but I have been wanting to go for sometime on Christmas eve. So, this afternoon, I took the kids to the children's service at the church where we held Kel's memorial service.
It was really very lovely. The choir was beautiful and the candle ceremony was even more magical. I just wished I could have enjoyed it a bit better, because while the choir was singing "silent night" in a rather heavenly fashion, while the church was all aglow with candles, I was trying to keep the songbook away from Quinn's candle, Quinn's candle away from the hair of the lady in front of us, and Robin from moping around. It would have been nice to take it all in, but alas. It is a children's mass after all right? Perhaps we'll make it a new tradition. I think it'll be a nice way to keep Kel in our thoughts.

Upon home coming, the kids found Christmas presents from Opa & Oma under the tree, and as well from neighbours Joe & Marie and Diane & Steve. So sweet, thanks guys! Oh, and the kids even got presents before the service, because their babysitters stopped by with gifts. So sweet!
So they got rather spoiled already, and Santa hasn't even come yet..

Speaking of Santa, I should go, the kids seem quiet so I'm assuming they are asleep. I still need to finish assembling the Playmobil hospital that Quinn is getting. I normally don't pre assemble, but this set is so big with so many parts, that I thought it might be a smart thing to do. Except doing just the 1st floor already took me 2 hrs last week. Ugh, well, I started it so I'd better finish!
Then sneak around by myself, and hope I don't get caught. ;) To make it easier on myself, we hung the stocking in the kitchen instead of the kids rooms. (with lack of fire place..) That way I don't have to worry about anyone waking up when i go put in the goodies.
Oh well, I'm well stocked on wine at least so that should help.
Merry Christmas everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Hoi Sylke,
    Tja, wat een dagen.......
    Mooie traditie om erin te houden.
    Marjon
    (klein cadeautje is onderweg naar je)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoi Sylke,
    Ik volg je blog al een poosje en ik hoop dat je een beetje op een redelijke manier oud en nieuw bent doorgekomen. Moeilijke dagen kan ik me zo voorstellen. Veel geluk en sterkte toegewenst voor 2011!
    Groetjes,
    Elsje.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hoe gaat het met je? Het is alweer bijna een maand geleden dat je een blogje geschreven hebt.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete